22.7.11

An adult's guide to bringing out your inner child for a night


I tell myself that the reason why I look so young and people often refer to me as being innocent is because I never stopped being a child. I never stopped daydreaming, creating fantasies or using my imagination to get through a really ugly task that I particularly did not like. 

To this day whenever I have to wait for a prescription at the pharmacy or wait for an oil change, I go to the toy section in the store and browse around to pass the time. It has recently come to my attention that my boyfriend has never built a tent as a child. Not a tent as in a pup tent to sleep outdoors, but a home made tent made out of blankets, sheets and whatever may be laying around the house that can be used to drape over chairs, tables etc. He was an only child, and as he knows that I had a very bad childhood so I had to rely on my imagination to get away from my surroundings. 

My sister and I used whatever we could and became very resourceful at making entertainment for ourselves. We had a big backyard, a tree, lumber, and whatever else scraps we could come up with. I turned the dog's house into a "tree house" even though it was not in a tree, the dog did not use the house so it was kosher with him. He gave his approval sniff when I was done. Inside we had a curtain over the archway and would tell scary stories, eat junk food, and play dolls. When we were inside the house, we made tents out of blankets and ate ourselves silly with food of all sorts, marshmallows, watched movies and told more scary stories to scare ourselves awake.

 Here is a list of things you will need (aka provisions) and things you will need to do to remind yourself how good you had it when you were a kid, these are suggestions and will give you a starting point for your night!:

1. FOOD

Ingredients for s'mores: marshmallows, graham crackers, and brick chocolate. This will hold you over on the long night watching movies and being scared witless. 




Who doesn't like gooey, rich, cheesy mac and cheese? No really, who? You can always pick some up at a restaurant but if you feel like cooking, here is a link to an excellent recipe: Delilah's 7 Cheese Mac and Cheese
Pizza, a staple for all children. Heck for most everyone. Have one delivered, attempt to make one your own, pick one up or:
English muffin pizzas! All you need is pizza or pasta sauce, cheese, English muffins and whatever toppings you would like. It is pretty simple but here is a quick recipe in case you need it: English Muffin Pizzas






Banana Splits!!! Bananas, cherries, whipped cream, chocolate sauce, strawberry sauce, coconut, pineapple sauce, nuts, sprinkles, vanilla, chocolate, and strawberry ice cream. Or:
HOT FUDGE SUNDAES!
Of course you will need some popcorn for your movie. Jiffy pop not only satisfies that need but is fun to pop as well

Load up on your soda, candy and chip needs!
2. MOVIES
this might depend on your tastes of course and what kind of kid you were. My parents let me watch whatever the hell I wanted, so Faces Of Death here I come! Some suggestions:  
The Adventures Of Mark Twain, The Goonies, The NeverEnding Story, The Dark Crystal, Labyrinth, Spirited Away, My Neighbor Totoro, Howl's Moving Castle, The Gate, Halloween, A Nightmare On Elm Street, Demons, Demons 2, The Fog, Gremlins, Carnival Of Souls, Creepshow, Fright Night
Creepshow

Carnival of Souls
The Adventures of Mark Twain
The NeverEnding Story
The Dark Crystal
Labyrinth
Spirited Away
My Neighbor Totoro
Howl's Moving Castle
The Goonies
The Gate
Halloween
A Nightmare on Elm Street
Demons
Demons 2
The Fog
Gremlins
Fright Night

These are by no means an exhaustive list or else we would be here until the cows come home :) I'm sure there is something later I will think of where I'll go, "oh yeah! dang it! should have put it in the blog! But you get the idea. Hop on Netflix or better yet, head down to your local video store (if they still have those nearest you). It makes for a better, nostalgic experience. We have a wonderful video store near us that carries almost every DVD that Netflix does and if they don't they will order it for us. I like to support local businesses. They have every single 80's film I have ever seen and they are complete with a candy section, claw arm machines and video game machines.
see?
3. ACTIVITIES

Blow Bubbles
Fly a kite at the beach or park
Draw on the sidewalk or on your patio with chalk
Enjoy a water balloon fight
And last but not least..making a make-shift fort, courtesy of Rubgut93:
http://www.youtube.com/user/rubgut93



That's all for now, thanks for reading and have fun!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...